Thursday, January 14, 2010

Lemon Poppy Seed Thins


This post will put me at the halfway point of this project. Oh man, so many baked goods. My neighbor, Gail, is benefiting. She has been getting a different treat every day (along with my mom, Xochi, and me). Also, every time people come over I force treats on them. If they respectfully decline on account of being too full at the moment, I just put some sweets in containers and send some home with them. Ah, the life of a pushy baker. A little side note while I am off the subject of lemon poppy seed crisps; I really want to make some vegan desserts. I have found some pretty basic recipes that are sure to work, but I would really like to make something that vegans don't usually get to eat (and don't say flan, I believe there is no way to make that milk and egg-ful dessert vegan). Please, give me your suggestions!

I have no origin for the lemon poppy seed thin, but when I saw the recipe I fell in love and knew that I had to make them. I really enjoy baking with lemon, and a thin sounded like the perfect companion for a hot beverage. The only history that I have is that poppy seeds have always been seen as a symbol of honor, and the Greeks starting baking with them and putting them in breads and desserts in the second century BCE.

Mixing up all of the ingredients was quite simple, but once they were all together the dough was a little too wet and sticky to be shaped correctly. I tried with a couple of them, but when I tried to mush them down with the glass they stuck to it. I put the dough in the refrigerator and chilled it for 30 minutes. This may not be necessary for you, but in my case it was. Don't be afraid to chill cookie dough for a bit if it is too sticky. Also, remember to dip the glass in the sugar before each cookie.


Lemon Poppy Seed Crisps

1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 large egg
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
3 1/2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
1 Tablespoon poppy seeds, plus more for sprinkling

1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Bring lemon juice to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat; cook until reduced by half. Add 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, and stir until melted.

2. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Put remaining 1/2 cup butter and 1 cup sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; mix on medium speed until creamy. Add egg and reserved lemon butter; mix until pale, about 3 minutes. Mix in vanilla and 2 teaspoons lemon zest. Reduce speed to low. Mix in flour mixture and poppy seeds.

3. Stir together remaining 1/2 cup sugar ad 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest in a small bowl. Roll dough into 1 1/4-inch balls; roll balls in lemon-sugar mixture. Space 2 inches apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Press each with the bottom of a glass dipped in sugar mixture until 1/4 inch thick. Sprinkle with poppy seeds.

4. Bake until browned around edges, 12-13 minutes, rotating sheet halfway through. Let cool completely on sheets on wire racks.

2 comments:

  1. These look delightful.

    On the topic of sinful, deliciously decadent vegan desserts, I have a few ideas...

    Cannoli
    Tiramisu
    Something with "cream cheese" frosting (red velvet cupcakes?)
    Tres Leches Cake - that would probably be pretty crazy, I don't even know if it's possible, since, by definition, it's super not-vegan. Three milks to make up for instead of just one!

    I'll keep thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just experienced some absolutely delicious vegan, raw chocolate pudding made with avocados and really good cocoa. I know it sounds wierd, but trust me it was amazing. If raw counts as baking, let me know and I'll get the recipe.

    ReplyDelete