Thursday, January 7, 2010

Traditional Scottish Scones with a Twist


I have been drinking coffee, mainly espresso with my treats for the past two days. This morning I was feeling a bit under the weather, and I thought it was time to make something that goes exclusively with tea. What could be better than scones? They are the perfect baked good to follow such an intense one like yesterday's chocolate pudding. This traditional scone recipe is much lower in sugar than the ones you would find in say a Starbucks or someplace like that.

I have always thought of scones as being a British treat, but after further research I found out that they originated in Scotland between 1505 and 1515. They take their name from the Stone of Destiny (Scone), where the Scottish kings went to be crowned. Traditionally, Scottish scones were oat-based and griddle baked. Now many are flour-based and cooked in the oven. I will be making a recipe that has both oats and flour, though I will be baking them in the oven.

The difficult thing about oat scones is that when you have to knead them there are so many dry ingredients that it just seems to fall apart for a while. Since I used even more dry ingredients by adding the cranberries it was hard at first to get the dough to stick together.


In the end I prevailed and was able to form it into a round and cut it, but there was a moment when I thought I would be putting scone crumbs into the oven.



Cranberry-Orange Scottish Scones

1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1 Tablespoon orange zest
3/4 cup dried cranberries

1. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease cookie sheet. Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. In a medium bowl, combine flour, oats, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and orange zest. Blend well.

2. Using pastry cutter or fork, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Add milk and cranberries, stirring just until moistened. On floured surface knead dough gently 5 to 6 times. Press into 6-inch round about 1 inch thick Place on prepared cookie sheet. Cut into 8 wedges; separate slightly. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes.

Optional Topping (I forgot to do this step and they still turned out lovely, but who am I to keep you from a delicious glaze!)

1 Tablespoon melted butter
1 Tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Brush butter on top before cutting into wedges. Combine the sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over the entire round.

2 comments:

  1. I have had the luxury and privilege to indulge in one of these miniature mountains of perfection. First off, I have to admit I wasn't particularly a fan of scones before this encounter came to pass. I realize now that it wasn't my taste that had led me astray; it was the hard, dry, tasteless biscuit imposters that have infiltrated the cafés and coffee houses I frequented. This, my friends, is what scones one day dream of being. On first bite, I was expecting the over-floured bland taste of my past; however, the rich buttery flavor dissolved all preconceptions. It had a lightly sweetened hint of orange, not overpowering, and land mines of delicious cranberries-- an explosion one would be so lucky to encounter. These scones have simply and purely knocked me off my feet. They compliment, nay improve, any tea or beverage of choice. They are flaky, not crumbly and weak; and they seem to melt in your mouth. Maya has truly brought a piece of Scotland to her kitchen and at the same time completely revolutionized my intellection of these tea companions we call scones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. don't overdo it on the scones, ya'akov. you don't really have the room if you know what i mean.

    ReplyDelete