Monday, January 18, 2010

Tiny Pecan Tarts


In celebration of Martin Luther King Jr. Day I am making this variation of pecan pie. I was thinking that I would make MLK's favorite food, so I typed in 'MLK' and 'food', and plenty websites led me to pecan pie. I didn't want to make an entire pie, so these pint-size versions will have to do. They are great finger food, and their size means that I can give lots of bit-size joy away to friends and family. So now I can watch the legendary MLK speeches and eat what could very well have been one of his favorite foods.

The French created pecan pie when they settled in New Orleans. Pecans were introduced to them by the Native American tribes that were originally living in that area. There aren't any documented recipes of the pie before 1925, and they do not begin to appear in cookbooks until the 1940s with 'The Joy of Cooking' and 'Fannie Farmer.' There is not much known about the history of this pie, but it is definitely a southern comfort food enjoyed by many.

This recipe is simple to make, and all you need is a mini muffin tin to make them in. I just love how they turn out looking like pies for tiny little people. Today I was at a baking store, and there are actually a ton of things that look that way, tiny whisks, tiny bread pans, tiny spatulas, and more. Xochi and I were thoroughly entertained by them, and mused about taking pictures with all of the small baking accoutrements. The bottom line is that these pecan tartlets are delicious and really adorable.

Tiny Pecan Tarts

1 cup butter
6 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 cups all-purpose flour
4 eggs
3 cups packed brown sugar
4 tablespoons melted butter
1 pinch salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup chopped pecans
1. To Make Pastry: Cream butter or margarine and cream cheese. Add flour and mix well. Make into 48 balls; place one ball in each cup of a mini tart pan. Use your fingers or a tart tamper to press out into a tart shell.

2. To Make Filling: Break the eggs, but do not beat. Add sugar, melted butter, salt, vanilla and pecans. Mix well. Fill the tart shells. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 25-30 minutes or until delicately browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment