Thursday, January 21, 2010

Vegan Cinnamon-Raisin Scones


The scones that I made early on in this project were one of my favorite things. I thought I would change some things around and try to make them vegan so that all of my vegan friends can enjoy them too! I would really like to make more vegan things if not for the project just in general, so give me some more ideas!

I have already told the history of scones, but here are some tidbits about veganism. The Vegan Society was the first society just for vegans. It was founded in 1944 by Donald Watson, and English man from Yorkshire and some of his friends. He was also the inventor of the word 'vegan' using the first three and last two letter of the word 'vegetarian.' He said it was the "beginning and end of vegetarian," and the word stuck. The American Vegan Society was founded in 1948 in California by Dr. Catherine Nimmo and Rubin Abramowitz. In 1994 November 1st was proclaimed World Vegan Day by the Vegan Society. Today 0.5% of Americans call themselves vegan.

This dough was actually quite a bit moister than the non-vegan recipe that I made. I sprinkled that top with some large granule sugar (I used Demerara) to add a little more sweetness. I didn't try, but I am sure you could replace the soy milk with some homemade applesauce and that would be tasty. Lots of options, but I love these scones with oats!

Vegan Cinnamon-Raisin Scones

1/2 cup vegan margarine
1 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup old fashioned oats
1/3 cup raisins
1/3 cup plain (or vanilla) soymilk

1. Preheat oven to 375°F.

2. Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon together in a large bowl. Cut in margarine until mixture becomes uniformly crumbly. Stir in oats and raisins.

3. Add soy milk and mix gently until a soft dough begins to cling together.

4. Turn dough out onto a floured surface and pat it into a 7 inch circle. Cut into 8 wedges and place them on an ungreased baking sheet.

5. Bake 15 to 18 minutes until golden brown and firm when pressed lightly in the center.

2 comments: